Life – and tennis – is full of CHOICES… should you “go for it” or be sure to “get it back in play” one more time? In my opinion, sometimes offense is correct and other times not.
Which is Better?
Drop shot –
- Going for a “really good” dropper but hitting it short into the top of the net or being conservative and hitting it high over the net that the opponent can easily get to and probably put away an easy winner?
- In my opinion (even though I don’t do it!) it is smarter to get the ball over the net; because your opponent may not get there, may miss the next shot, or may give you something you can still hit.
Second serve –
- Going for a strong second serve and just missing or poking it in so your opponent can crush the ball?
- In my opinion, I say go for the bigger second serve rather than a ball they can crush at you or your doubles partner. This sends a message that they have to be ready for something with pace on it and cannot just sit on the return every time.
Second serve return –
- Seeing the easy serve sitting there and attacking but missing or being conservative and just getting it back in play?
- Again, in my opinion, go for the offensive shot; because, even if you miss, you have sent the message to the server that you will be attacking their second serve … which will put more pressure on them next time or force them to take something off their first serve to be sure to get it in.
- Hitting it hard for a possible winner or being sure to just get it back in play, even though the opponent will probably get a shot at it?
- In my opinion, in this case, I vote for the conservative of getting it back in play; because most likely, the opponent will still end up hitting a defensive shot and giving you another chance to put it away.
What do YOU think on these (or other “choices”)?
Know someone who should read this? Send them a link and if you are not on my “new posting alert email list” and want to be (I promise, no other uses of your email address!), just drop me a note at GeorgeWachtel@gmail.com
My Book: if you’d like to get a copy of “Senior Tennis”, just click on the link on the upper right of this web page to go to Amazon.com, look at the list of places under “My Book” on the bar above, or ask me what clubs are carrying it!