After losing the first set in doubles, you and your partner decide to “change a losing game” and switch deuce/ad returning sides. But during the next set, you forget and go to the wrong return side to play a point. What is the ruling?
I wrote to Tennis Magazine rules guru Rebel Good and said…
We just finished a friendly Saturday morning doubles match and had this come up …
- At the start of the second set, my partner and I switched returning sides
- But in our second receive game, we, of course, forgot; and he stood in the deuce court, where I should have been
- Our opponent’s first serve was a fault, when I remembered and took my position in the deuce court.
- They said it should be their point since the wrong person was receiving serve; but I countered “all points played in good faith stand”; so it could actually be his SECOND serve.
- But I said, “I actually don’t know the ruling, so just take a first serve.” (with me moved into the deuce court)
Rebel, what should we have done?
“If they bought that, play on.
But rule would be that you should have stayed lined up like that for the remainder of that game, then switched back the next game you received.”
What do you think of this situation?
Naples November Tournament
If you are in the area, here is something from Sanchez/Casal in Naples…
The North Naples Clay Court Championships will be back in 2019!!. Save the date (November 1-10, 2019) and take advantage of the early bird entry fee discount:
- Until August 31 – 50% off registration fee: use coupon NAPLES50 before doing the payment
- Until September 15 – 50% off registration fee: use coupon NAPLES50 before doing the payment
We are offering the following categories and scheduled days of play:
- NTRP Mixed Doubles: Friday 1 at night – Sunday 3 – Friday 8 at night – Sunday 10
- NTRP Men’s & Women’s Singles & Doubles: Saturday 2 – Sunday 3 – Saturday 9 – Sunday 10
- Open Men’s & Women’s (singles, doubles & mixed): Thursday 7 – Friday 8 – Saturday 9 – Sunday 10
25% OF ENTRY FEES WILL GO TO PRIZE MONEY IN ALL CATEGORIES
FAST 4 FORMAT WILL BE USED IN ALL NTRP CATEGORIES
3 GUARANTEED MATCHES WITH ROUND ROBIN + SINGLE ELIMINATION DRAW
Rogelio de Haro, Global Sports Resorts LLC, Tournament Director, 239 2631818
Know someone who should read this? Send them a link and if you are not on my “new posting alert email list” and want to be (I promise, no other uses of your email address!), just drop me a note at GeorgeWachtel@gmail.com
My Book: if you’d like to get a copy of “Senior Tennis”, just click on the link on the upper right of this web page to go to Amazon.com, look at the list of places under “My Book” on the bar above, or ask me what clubs are carrying it!