The weather did and will play a big factor in this week’s tournament play … on Thursday, morning rain allowed only singles matches to be played … of the forecasted deluge for Sunday, has Saturday featuring all semifinal AND final matches.
Noble and Me
So, today we played our quarter final 75 doubles match vs. the team of Dave Huff (Seneca, SC) and Jay Senter (Hallandale Beach, Florida). Except for two lapses on our service games in the second set, we were in total control and won the match 6-0, 6-2.
Other Local Legends
There was some solid play and some surprises. Here are highlights …
- In the 70s singles semis, Naples’ Mike Dahm took the first set off Larry Turville t 6-1 ! Except Mr. T. regained control to take the second and third sets.
- Second-seeded Larry Back won in straights and will face Mr. T tomorrow morning.
- In the 75 singles, my February partner Hank Irvine won his second consecutive three set match, this time vs. Alan Carter; and will face Jimmy Parker tomorrow morning.
- In the 85 singles, one of my heroes, #1 seeded Gordon Hammes cruised into tomorrow’s finals.
- 65 doubles quarters saw an upset as Bob Wilkie and George Dalphon fell to Mike Kane and Dave Wendt in the deciding Match Tiebreaker.
- And, Scoot Dimon and Tom McGinnis easily moved to the semis tomorrow
- In the 70s quarters, Mike Dahm and Larry back came on the short end to #1 seeds Turville and Newman.
- And, Steve Shreiner and Andre Marois were impeccable in their victory over the local duo of George Morton and Jon Weiss; and will face the #1s tomorrow
- In the bottom half, the strong #2 team of Jimmy Parker and big Dave Nash needed two tiebreakers to outlast their opponents
- In the 75 doubles, #1 Hank Irvine and Evert Jonsson easily moved into the semi’s tomorrow (vs. Noble and me!) (and if they beat us, Hank will have to play THREE matches tmw!)
- And, Marco Island’s Eichmann and Jean put up a good fight vs. #2 seeds Hagelshaw and Lunsford; but went down in two sets.
- And they will face the solid team of Bob McAfee and Don McGoldrick
- In the 80s doubles semis, an former coworker of mine from Connecticut Mutual Life in Hartford, Ray Brodeur and his partner Gordon Nichol won in three sets.
- They will face my last-year partner Matt Davie and his “partner of the week” Gary Pederson, who won easily.
For other scores and starting times, just click HERE
Know someone who should read this? Send them a link and if you are not on my “new posting alert email list” and want to be (I promise, no other uses of your email address!), just drop me a note at GeorgeWachtel@gmail.com
My Book: if you’d like to get a copy of “Senior Tennis”, just click on the link on the upper right of this web page to go to Amazon.com, look at the list of places under “My Book” on the bar above, or ask me what clubs are carrying it!