I came off the court feeling good about my dealing with the weather (and my tennis after a summer of being Bob Wilkie’s punching bag five days a week). So, here is what I did and seems like a good prescription for handling the heat…
Before You Play
• Be sure to fully hydrate even before you get on the court.
• Put on sun block
• Wear Dri-Fit shirts in a light color
While You Play
• Drink on every changeover
• Pace yourself
• Get a younger partner and say “Yours” a lot! (Mine was 58-year old Kim Olsen, who runs very well)
• Eat a banana
• Take some form of electrolytes in liquid or pill form (mine is the Meda-Lyte pills that Larry Starr makes available at Newk’s)
• If you have one, use a “cooling towel” around your neck on changeovers
After You Play
• Drink more water and electrolyte drinks
• Jump in the pool!
What other tricks are out there?
Know someone who should read this? Send them a link and if you are not on my “new posting alert email list” and want to be (I promise, no other uses of your email address!), just drop me a note at George@seniortennisandfitness.com
My Book: and if you’d like to get a copy of “Senior Tennis”, just click on the link on the upper right of this web page.