His brother Patrick was astonished by the claim and said, “Better than Pete Sampras’ first serve? Better than Serena’s serve? Better than YOUR volley?”
I remember coming away from watching the Swiss star’s victory over Djokovic in the French final and all I could think about were those classic one-handed backhands – both down the line and cross court. But, what do you think…
• Better than Sampras’ first (and second) serve?
• Better than Agassi’s return of serve?
• Better than Djokovic’s sliding off the court defensive shots?
• Better than Serena’s serve?
• Better than McEnroe’s volleys?
• Better than Rafa’s topspin forehand?
Do you agree with JohnnyMac, or do you have another favorite?
I do agree that Stan’s backhand is a “thing of beauty”; but would suggest that Sampras’ serve or Andre’s return of serve had a greater impact on the outcome of matches than Warinka’s backhand does.
If you are not on my “new posting alert email list” and want to be (I promise, no other uses of your email address!), just drop me a note at George@seniortennisandfitness.com
My Book: and if you’d like to get a copy of “Senior Tennis”, just click on the link on the upper right of this web page.