Interesting tennis at the Madrid Masters today. Here are some results andobservations…
• The team of Nestor and Zimonjic entered the finals as #1 in the world.
• And have beaten the Bryan Brothers eight out of twelve times the competed.
• The Bryans were #2 in the world and, with 60 titles,
• And they were one championship behind the GREAT Australian Woodies (Woodforde and Woodbridge)
• Lefty Nestor always plays the add court giving their team “forehands out”
• But the Bryans always play lefty Bob in the deuce court for “forehands in”… except today, they switched!
• The American brothers won in straight sets…
• And they reclaim #1 in the world ranking and tie the Woodies at 61 titles.
• Which team is better????
• Venus faced a fast-rising 23 year old, Aravane Rezai
• Rezai was born in France, with Iranian parents and holds dual citizenship.
• She is only 5’5” but hits the ball a ton
• Venus did not handle the pace, nor the pressure of the blistering returns of serve.
• Rezai won 6-2, 7-5
• But Venus will be #2 in the World for the French Open, with her sister being #1 and in the opposite half of the draw
• Just what the promoter (dear Billionaire Ion Tiriac) had hoped for
• #1 Fed vs. #2 (home town favorite) Nadal
• Rafa is just too much for anyone on red clay
• And The Fed has a real problem converting break points against Rafa. It is my opinion that he gets “too mental” and doesn’t swing freely.
• Nadal wins in straight sets (even after Fed is serving for the second set at 5-3).
• On to Roland Garros!
• And of equal importance….
• Pelican Bay’s Super Senior (75+) Gordon Hammes traveled to Jackson MS to play in the USTA Category II tournament
• He lost a total of FIVE GAMES on his way to the title!