It was a full day of singles and doubles at this Cat II tournament. Here are some of the highlights from people we know around the country:
- Len Saltzman (my Newk camp friend) had a tough time adjusting to the outdoors and the soft clay, losing consolation singles in the morning and doubles in the afternoon.
- Nick Ourusoff (New Hampshire tennis friend) won first round 70 singles easily.
- Jack Lease (Pelican Bay) won 6-1, 6-1 in singles in the morning; but, after splitting the first two sets in doubles, had to default with injury.
- Gordon Hammes #3 seed (Pelican Bay) won by default.
- Mike Griner and Rich Tarantino (Pelican Bay and Newk Camp) held on in 60 doubles, 6-1, 7-6.
- Tom McCune (Pelican Bay) lost a controversial match to the #5 seed, 6-4, 6-3 (more about that another time); but came back to team with a MN friend to win easily in doubles.
- Bob Dilworth lost in 70 singles in the morning; but teamed with Matt Davie to win doubles in the p.m.
- Apologies if i missed anyone.
As for me, I once again played Donald Long, seeded player who beat me in Ft. Myers 6-2, 6-2. My objective was to do better and my strategy was to avoid his devastating backhand and â€œgo for my shots.â€
I did all that, losing a good first set 6-3. In the second set, we were on serve at 3-3; and he broke my serve and held. I was serving 3-5, 15-40, double match point; but wasnâ€™t ready to go away yet. I was able to hold both match points against and hold that service game; but he was able to serve out the match for a 6-3, 6-4 victory.
In the afternoon, I teamed up with Larry Letwin, who I met the day before while beating him in singles. We played a strange doubles match against a solid team of Bobby Hampton (Chicago) and Lee Smith (MD). We won the first set fairly easily at 6-2; but then â€˜disappearedâ€™ in the second set, losing it at 6-0!! We regrouped in the second set and were able to post a 6-2, 0-6, 6-1 victory.
Wednesday at 3 p.m. we play the #5 seeded team (against my morning singles opponent, Don Long).